Lonoke Baptist Church Contact Us Regular Schedule

Affiliations

Our History

In 1869, a few short years after the Civil War, Lonoke Baptist Church was founded. Settlers in the area, many of whom were from the Carolinas, began to see the need for churches in this area. Missionary A. M. Russell and Elders J. M. King and James P. Eagle met with Moses Green and fifteen charter members establishing a church. They had a vision of a kingdom work right here in Lonoke. That vision led them to build a building in which to worship. A parsonage was added in 1887 but both sanctuary and parsonage were destroyed by fire in 1892. That same year a new building was built with a bell tower, but tragedy struck again and it burned in 1924. The bell was still ringing as it fell into the embers of the burning building.

Not halted by the tragedies of fire, depressions and wars, the church maintained the vision and again rebuilt in 1924. That building was retired in 1988 when a new sanctuary was dedicated. An education building was built in 1982 and another in 1993. In 2006 the church built a multifunctional youth and children's building. The vision continues.

Over the years, Lonoke Baptist Church has had a total of over 3,000 members. Many of those were salvations as many have been led to Christ through this church's mission. Many lives have been changed during those thirteen decades. Heaven has been enlarged as a result of that early vision of 1869.